|On a WinMo phone at PAX|
Yep, it's a "mobile game." I think most cell-phone games are stupid and boring. But this gem of procrastination software is vivid, addicting and has a sense of humor! The object of the game is to slash as much fruit as you can while avoiding the mischievous bombs that jump in out of nowhere. It's genius!
Fruit Ninja works great on my MyTouch, although it does get a little laggy after about 150 points when the fruit really starts zooming around. It was a little laggy on the Windows Mobile Phone demo at PAX as well. It's flawless and gorgeous on the iPad.
One of the reasons Fruit Ninja may run a bit slow on my phone (besides the fact that it's old and doesn't have a lot of memory) is because I also opt to run OpenFeint when I open the game, which allows me to get--you're not going to believe this--achievements for all the awesome things I do in the game, leaderboards, friend-lists and game information. Achievements... On my Phone. Am I getting old, or is that just crazy talk??
- You have to release your finger from the screen to make it a true slash. Zig-zagging across the screen won't net you combos or bonuses!
- Wait until all the fruit flies up to the top of the screen and slash below it to have a better chance of hitting multiple pieces!
- Use the audio! Like many games, the sound effects let you know when bombs or fruit are about to appear.
- There is no right or wrong way to slash: up, down, left, right, diagonally! Do what you must to take that fruit down!
- *Fruit Ninja probably won't actually enhance your ninja skills. You could try the internet, though.
And, if you like, you can watch me playing some Fruit Ninja of my own, right here! For... research...